Wednesday 1 June 2011

Therefore encourage one another with these words

Dear all this morning Glen went to be with his Saviour and Lord.  He and those with him had been listening to the words of John Newton's hymn Amazing Grace:

1. Amazing grace-how sweet the sound-
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
was blind, but now I see.

2. T'was grace that taught my heart to fear,
his grace my fears relieved;
how precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed!

3. Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'tis grace has brought me safe this far
and grace will lead me home.

4. When we've been there ten thousand years
bright shining as the sun,
we've no less days to sing God's praise
than when we've first begun.

I know that many of you will feel as I do a great sense of sadness and loss at the passing of a loved friend, one who warmed our hearts with his quick smile, funny turn of phrase and infectious sense of humour.  But I think what I will miss most of all is his passion to see others come to know his Saviour and his desire to help, spur on and encourage those of us who shared that love of Jesus with him.

Please in the midst of your grief remember Anne and the family.  I was reading these words of Paul this morning:

"Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest, who have no hope.  We believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.  According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.  For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.  After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.  Therefore encourage one another with these words."  1 Thessalonians 4v13-18

Glen has fallen asleep in Christ and we who grieve have a hope that makes our grief distinctive, we grieve our loss but know that to die has been Glen's gain and that one day we will see him again when Christ comes or calls.  It is this hope which is the consolation of all who mourn those who trust in Jesus as their Saviour, and it is this hope we are to encourage one another with in our loss.

Prayer:  Father God we want to thank you for the life of Glen, thank you for everything about him which made him him.  His willingness to dive right in and enjoy life, his readiness to laugh and make others laugh along with him, his love and care of others, his passionate conviction and loving service of his Saviour.  Thank you that you have taken him home beyond all pain and suffering.

Father we pray for Anne, Ruth, Michael and the rest of the family we ask that you would sustain them with your word and by your Spirit through your people.  Thank you that they know they do not grieve without hope.

Amen

18 comments:

  1. What can one say?

    My tears and the lump in my throat are huge for such a young man as this.

    My memories will always be of some time ago now when he entered my classroom and shared that infectious love of life.

    And now we all have to share in his passing to be with the LORD. But we rest assured that he is now resting in peace in His eternal arms.

    The pain and the grief will cease and become easier to control over time, we know that, so now we stand firm in faith for the remaining family as they come to terms with such a sad loss as this.

    God bless you all from this very tearful teacher of English who remembers a young man with joyous abandon.

    Robert Johnson
    Ex of Hall Cross Lower School
    01-06-2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen took over my year one class halfway through last year - I could not have left them in safer hands, he was kind, generous, fun and a thoroughly decent young man. I can't believe that I am having to write this and all my love and thoughts go to his family.
    Linda Quayle
    Lawrence CP School

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Glen and friends of Glen
    My name's Rosie.
    Its been a long time, and I wonder if you will remember me. We (Glen and I) were in Mr Johnson's English class together and also you and I went to Germany to Herten together on an exchange trip in year 9!
    How well I remember that time. How exhausted we got on the trip, the laughs we had and how we took it in turns to keep an eye out for one another. You always were the life and soul of the party and I think you were the one who taught me the rules of playing pool. I can still play it now marginally (bit out of practice) thanks to you.
    May I send my condolences to your family, and let them know the Lord is with them at this difficult time. From someone who also lost a parent at 18, I do know some of the pain you must be feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

    From Rosie Avalon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only was Glen a remarkable friend, he brings great joy and happiness to the growth group. It brings me great sadness to learn of loss of such a good friend, but he has left behind many fun memories and moments he shared with the growth group.

    Glen had always had the passion for the word of our Lord Jesus Christ and he wanted to share the word with everybody, even in his time of hardship. Through the word of our Lord Jesus Christ, we have hope in that one day we shall meet again and rejoice together.

    “One with Himself I cannot die
    My soul is purchased by His blood
    My life is hid with Christ on high
    With Christ my Saviour and my God!”

    Thank you Lord for receiving Glen with Your open arms, and may he rest in peace.

    My sympathy, peace and love goes to Anne, Ruth, Michael and his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teresa McGrath1 June 2011 at 19:20

    I thank God from the bottom of my heart and the depths of my soul for bringing Glen into my life. Like so many of my former students (who I cherish as God's gifts to me on earth) Glen taught me and enriched my life so much more than I could ever have hoped, aspired or anticipated to do for him. For that, I will remain thankful for eternity.

    I can only begin to imagine the agonising loss that Anne, Ruth, Michael, Glen's brothers and so many others are feeling now. My thoughts, love and prayers will remain with you always.

    Teresa xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. just heard the sad news. rest in peace glen. thoughts are with wife and family at this sad time. rest in peace xx
    becky - lawrence c.p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isaiah 55
    11.....so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty,
    but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

    We first met Glen in 2009 at Laura and Dan's wedding practice. He trooped in late, wearing baggy shorts (in the middle of the worst rain we'd had for over 40 years) and in minutes had us all in stitches. Over a very short spell of time Glen made an extremely deep and lasting impression.

    All our love and continued prayers, to Anne, Ruth and family members.

    Eileen and Ian Logan - N. Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it was a marvellous healing;
    after the months of asking,
    of waiting;
    after the desperate, slow deterioration,
    the warring tides
    of faith and doubt:
    to be released in an instant,
    from every pain.
    it was as if the very molecules of his flesh
    had been infused, invaded,
    with the life of God,
    until he was filled, fit to burst,
    with the Shalom, the peace,
    of the Father's rule.
    limbs that had fallen flaccid with weakness
    waved and danced with joy;
    lungs that had so utterly failed him
    sang out with strength and boldness.

    he ran
    through the unfamiliar sunlight,
    drinking it in,
    experiencing all at once
    the thousand and one feelings
    that for so long had been denied him.

    it was a marvellous healing:
    to be so totally restored,
    made whole,
    rebuilt.
    it had just surprised him,
    a little,
    that he had had to die
    to receive it.

    (by gerard kelly)

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a sad loss he will be missed by many im sure.
    my love and prayers are with all Glens family and Anne at this very sad time. Rest in peace
    Marg Finlay & family
    Lawrence CP

    ReplyDelete
  10. My thoughts and prayers are with Glen, his wife and both their families at this time. His blog is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only know Glen through this blog but I have been very moved by the faith that he has shown throughout this journey. My thoughts and prayers are with all of his family and friends at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to think, through the pain of this all, of the smile on Glen's face (for which he was so well known) when Jesus says to him "well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master." Glen has given a wonderful testimony to the goodness of our God throughout the time I've known him and especially with this blog; we're so grateful. Much love to you Anne, and all the family. We're praying for you all. Trusting with you in His infinite wisdom. Love Darren and Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have followed Glen's blog for a while now and I just wanted to say what an inspiration he has been. His faith is such a witness to all. I am thinking and praying for all the family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am Ross Tulloch, married to Yvonne, who is Melissa's mother. Melissa is Married to Pete, who's brother in law dear Glen was. His sister is Anne

    I lost my sister at aged 10, and brother aged 29. I know a little therefore of loss.

    My heart goes out to you all at this painful, difficult time, and has done for the last few months. Some lovely words have been written by you and now others.

    It is all so painful. God is clearly with us all in this, may he continue to be strongly.

    I am praying for you all, dear people. So sorry I did not really meet dear Glen. With love, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  15. To Ruth and family

    I was so sad to hear through my brother Lee the news about Glen. I just wanted to let you know that my love and prayers go out to you at this difficult time.

    Much love Lisa Potts (Lee and Helen Potts sister). xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was such a pleasure knowing Glen whilst he was at Lawrence C P, he was so lovely. Rest in peace Glen.

    Alison Marlow
    Lawrence C P

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've only known Glen for a year and a half through church but in his death he has brought me to truely know god. I hope that god comforts your family and helps you all to cope through this difficult time.
    God Bless. Olivia and all of Target

    ReplyDelete
  18. I only found out about Glen the other evening. I run a charity for The Christie in my spare time, www.factor50.org.uk - this came about after a very young family friend died of malignant melanoma aged just 30 in 2008. I put on a fundraising dinner on Saturday evening and one of my guests knew Glen and was telling me about him and his brave battle.

    Thoughts with the family. Gill Nuttall

    ReplyDelete